Well I know I promised the 5 weeks of projects would start well, yesterday. I totally underestimated the amount of time it was going to take to get our house ready enough to even start the custom “fun,” things.
You see, we bought our house (closed on it Wednesday, last week). Going into the purchase we knew that there were improvements that would have to get done immediately. The floors were really sad looking, the walls were a ton of different colors and the kitchen was a mess. While these are pretty big things we didn’t anticipate quite the amount of time it was going to take. Here are a few “before” photos. I don’t really consider this house a “fixer upper,” the house is in decent condition and hasn’t required anything other than some cosmetic changes. (i.e. while the worn carpet and the has-seen-better-days hardwoods could be lived with, we don’t particularly want to.)
This is just a sample of the house, lots of different colors… everywhere and each floor of the house has a different style flooring. So we’ve been super busy trying to get the basics handled. I don’t know why, but we thought we’d be able to do the flooring between Wednesday and Monday. Well we just about have the top floor done but we aren’t even a third of the way through. This DIY, as with so many is a little more difficult than anticipated. Good news though, It’s looking pretty good and we are making good decisions.
It’s weird because while we love this home and it’s potential, we went into the purchase knowing it wasn’t “forever,” so most decisions we are making are theoretically only increasing home value, not necessarily our own specific tastes and ideas (although… as a creative person, there are bound to be a few of those kind of projects that I do for myself NOT future buyers. Example: the mural I’m doing in the master.)
Here are a few photos of the flooring installation.
(pulling up staples left from the carpeting and trying to plan ahead for the upcoming floor.)
So we’ve changed the paint to make the spaces look as big as possible without being standard white or eggshell. We went for gray, very light with lots of white (which turned out to be bluish.)
We also chose a nice, luxurious, dark, quality laminate that we got at our local www.flooranddecor.com where we went and picked it up as soon as it reached it’s best price. This stuff is usually over $3.00 a square foot, we got it for $.99. Big steal. We called three times a week to find out the price between this and another flooring waiting for something great. All our time was not wasted. we saved at least 66% on the purchase of the actual flooring.
Ready for it? Want to see the greatness that is the new flooring (at least what we have done?)
These were taken at night so I don’t think you can really see the majesty but it’s coming along SO nicely. I’m excited for you all to see the final product.
The BEST news is is that I haven’t completely disregarded my 5 weeks, 5 projects goal. I’ve started the mural in my bedroom! Nothing like the stencil I had originally anticipated but it will be awesome I simply changed direction.
It’s going to be a great lacie, delicate, pretty mural that should be just the right thing for the space. (the photo above is a sneak peek and two pieces of inspiration)
So while I haven’t had that melt down yet, it’s too early to tell! The good news is that in the coming weeks I should be able to tell you how to avoid the pitfalls! I’ll post all the photos from beginning to end this Friday so keep an eye out! I’d love to show you all the steps, trials tribulations going from an “inspiration,” to a final product!